Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Power Surge in your RV


I was asked the question by one of my clients, Kathy A, if Power Surge is covered on the RV policy. After researching this with the companies I represent, I found that no one addresses this specifically because a Full Timer RV package basically just modifies a traditional Auto Policy to include some contents coverage and personal liability. Power Surge is not normally something associated with Auto Insurance. It's more of a Homeowners coverage.

Every policy covers lightning under Comprehensive Coverage and since the majority of claims that I have seen have been lightning related, Power Surge has really never come up. Kathy's husband Lou is an electrician and they are Work Campers so they travel to many different parks. She informed me that they have seen all kinds of electrical "issues" in the RV parks they travel through. Since we all travel with some sort of electronics whether it be computers, cell phones, camera's etc, we need to be aware if the outlet we are plugging our RV into is in good working order without power fluctuation.

I asked Kathy what they do to make sure they aren't hooking up to an unstable power source and she told me about this gizmo called a Circut Tester. This is a very inexpensive item and it looks like even I could figure it out. Kathy also mentioned that they keep it plugged into an outlet near the door to their RV and so she is used to glancing at it as she goes in and out and if the wrong light is lit up she knows she has a power issue right away.

If you don't have one of these, get one and use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment