Monday, February 1, 2010

Canadian Non-Resident ID Cards

It's February 1st! Some of you will be starting to finalize your plans for moving North during the summer months. Many of you will be heading to Canada or Alaska.

In the past we have provided Canadian Non-Resident ID cards for your RV's, motorcycles or autos that will be going through Canada. This helps speed the process along when going across the boarder. Many of my clients say that when they have presented these cards, they have flown right threw while their friends who did not have them were stopped and searched. Whether the cards had anything to do with that or not, I can't say for sure, but why not, they are free!

If you have a policy with me and plan to travel to Canada this year, please give me plenty of advance warning. After 9-11, the companies have put a crack down on handing out these cards for us agents to print up and give out. Now we have to call the companies, order the cards and they print and mail them to you (usually to the address on the policy ie: mail forwarding) and that can take a couple of weeks not to mention then has to be forwarded to you wherever you may be.

Last summer, I had a heck of a time getting cards to one of my clients going on a 5 week motorcycle trip through Canada. I thought I was going to have to go to Ohio and pick up the card from Progressive's home office and fly it to him in North Dakota. Not that he couldn't have crossed the boarder without it, he could have, but didn't want to. He too had heard that he would have a much easier time of it if he had the card. Anyway, we got it done and he got there and back without any problems. Just remember to give plenty of advance notice. Even if you are just contemplating going at this point, why not get the cards anyway? They are good for your full policy term. Just give me a call or shoot me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment